In this article I want to talk about six of the most unusual and impressive holes on our planet. Some of them are of natural origin, but some of them appeared not without the help of people…
1. The Great Blue Hole is a large geological formation located in the center of a coral reef in Belize. It is 305 meters in diameter and about 120 meters deep. planety-ec26dcb.jpg” alt=”6 most impressive holes on the surface of our planet” />
Great Blue Hole
2. Giant diamond quarry “Mir”, located in Yakutia, in the city of Mirny. It is 525 meters deep and 1200 meters in diameter. It is one of the largest quarries in the world.
Giant Mir diamond quarry
For more information about this diamond quarry, see the article Giant Diamond quarry in the city of Mirny
3. Diavik Diamond Mine – located on the islands in Canada and even has its own infrastructure with an airport. Approximately 1,500 kg of diamonds are mined here annually. jpg” alt=”6 most impressive holes on the surface of our planet” />
Diavik Diamond Mine
4. Darvaza (Derweze)– a gas crater in Turkmenistan, called the “Door to the underworld” and the “Gates of Hell”. It is located about 260 km from Ashgabat. It is about 60 meters in diameter and about 20 meters deep.
This failure was formed in 1971, as a result of drilling an exploratory gas well by Soviet geologists.
The resulting large hole was filled with gas, which is why they decided to set it on fire, in the hope that the fire would go out in a few days. But there was a mistake, and since then the natural gas coming out of this hole has been continuously burning night and day.
5. Guatemala Sinkhole– This huge hole appeared after Tropical Storm Agatha in 2010, swallowing a three-story building. Its diameter is about 19 meters, depth is 60 meters. The causes of the appearance are massive sewer leaks, as a result of which the underlying rocks and soil are washed out. poverhnosti-nashej-planety-d4cff08.jpg” alt=”6 most impressive holes on the surface of our planet” />
6. Big Hole is a huge diamond mine in South Africa, located in the city of Kimberley. It is considered the largest quarry in the world, developed by people without the use of technology (with the help of picks and shovels). Development took place here from 1866 to 1914.
The perimeter of this hole is about 1600 meters, and the diameter is about 463 m. Initially, its depth was 240 meters, but then it was filled up to 215 meters. Currently, the hole is gradually filling with water.