Foreign UK residents require visa-free travel to the EU

UK Overseas Residents Demand Visa Waiver for EU

In petition signed by 23 so far 718 people, it is emphasized that British Residence Permit holders who are not citizens of the European Union are not entitled to travel to European countries using their BRP cards as a valid travel document. They urge the government to correct this injustice.

However, London considers it a pointless exercise to seek “preferential” entry into Schengen for holders of a British residence permit. On June 14, the government stated: “We have no plans to lobby the EU to remove the requirement to carry a valid passport when visiting the Schengen area for all non-EU/EEA citizens, including UK citizens. This is not a visa issue.

Currently, all non-EU citizens planning to enter Schengen countries are required to carry a valid passport. The same rule applies to the British.

At the same time, a biometric UK residence permit, which allows foreign nationals to enter the UK, live, work or study in the Kingdom, does not entitle its holders to travel to EU countries, as it is not considered a valid travel document.

< p>To apply for a Schengen visa, Britons must have a residence permit valid for at least three more months after the date they plan to leave the Schengen area.

Tourists holding a British visa are not eligible to apply for a visa at the embassies of the Schengen countries located in the UK. They must apply for a Schengen visa at the appropriate Schengen embassy located in their home country.

All those holding a three-month UK visa are entitled to extend it for another three months and thus are eligible to apply for a Schengen visa from the UK.

Post-Brexit regulations have created significant hardships for citizens of both territories.

An ABTA Travel Association study found that the number of Britons working in the EU tourism industry has decreased markedly since 2017 – by 69%.

Last week, TURIZM.RU wrote that citizens of EU countries traveling to the UK will have to request an electronic travel authorization from next year ( ETA), which will cost them about 12 euros. TURIZM.RU

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *