Many funny stories are connected with this rule
The Turkish Ambassador to Russia Mehmet Samsar told us a couple.
- Previously, when the groom came to the bride's parents to ask for a hand and a heart, the father poured traditional Turkish coffee for him and watched the young man drink it. If he first drank coffee, and then water, the chances of marriage tended to zero. The father’s argument was this: since you ruined the taste of coffee with water, then you will ruin my daughter’s life too.
- Now, when the groom comes to the bride’s parents, salt or too much sugar is often added to his coffee – and they look to the reaction. If a young man begins to frown and resent, then he is unrestrained and ill-mannered. If he drinks the offered drink with a calm look and does not react in any way, then he is calm, reliable, able to control himself. You can give your beloved daughter for this.
What else to read on the topic
- 10 sudden facts about the Turkish harem
- 5 habits of the Turks that enrage us
- Why do they not like the Black Sea in Turkey?