Plans for the weekend: abandoned estates near Moscow

Plans for the weekend: abandoned estates near Moscow

Once upon a time, balls were given within these walls, they received high-ranking guests and in every possible way led the normal life of the Russian nobility. Today, at best, many old estates have been preserved, the walls, and even those dilapidated, but each of these places keeps a history.

Abandoned estate Pushchino-on-Nara

Pushchino-on-Nara – the ruins of a real palace and the former family estate of the princes Vyazemsky. The manor was built at the end of the 18th century. in the style of Russian classicism. The architectural ensemble consisted of a palace, outbuildings, a fountain in front of the main entrance, as well as a huge park. Even from the remnants of former luxury, one can imagine how majestic this building was. However, it is possible that the palace will have a second birth. Probably in the future it will be restored and become an elite boutique hotel. It is planned that all buildings, as well as the palace territory, will be restored to their original form. To the extent possible, of course.

How to get there: by train from Kursky railway station to Serpukhov (or by bus from Yuzhnaya metro station), then by bus number 29 to Gavshino, stop immediately after the railway crossing.

The estate of Lida and Zendikovo in Kashira

The city of Kashira is curious in itself. It is one of the oldest in the Moscow region, the first settlements date back to 1356. On the streets of Kashira, mansions of the early 19th century have been preserved. in the style of classicism, as well as wooden houses of a later period – the end of the 19th-beginning of the 20th century. In addition, Lida's estate, built in 1915, has been preserved here (albeit already in ruins). It is located on the banks of the Oka, where a massive staircase leads directly from the once luxurious front porch.

Even less remains of the Zendikovo estate, which originally belonged to Prince Baryatinsky. At the end of the 19th century it was a luxurious architectural ensemble in the style of classicism: a huge house with balconies surrounded by a cascade of ponds and a garden. Today it is a grassy ruin in the middle of a wild park.

How to get there: by train from Paveletsky railway station, travel time is about 2 hours.

Bykovo Estate

The construction of the Bykovo estate dates back to the middle of the 18th century. Its first owner was the Governor-General of Moscow, Mikhail Mikhailovich Izmailov, and this architectural ensemble was designed by Vasily Bazhenov, famous in those years. On the territory of the estate, in addition to the palace, there was also a temple, a park, ponds, a winter garden, a grotto and the Hermitage. Now only the foundation and ramps at the main entrance have been preserved from all this splendor. But the Vladimirskaya Church, also designed by Bazhenov in the then fashionable Gothic style, has been preserved very well.

How to get there: by train from Kazansky railway station to the Udelnaya station, then by buses No. 23 or No. 39 to the Khram stop; or from Vyxino metro station by bus number 424 to the Khram stop.

Yaropolets Chernyshev Estate

The Yaropolets estate was once called the “Russian Versailles” – such a large-scale and luxurious architectural structure was in the style of French neoclassicism. Until 1917, it belonged to the Chernyshev family and was inherited from generation to generation. Empress Catherine II herself came here to visit. The revolution ended this good tradition, and a rural hospital was located in the building of the estate. Well, the Great Patriotic War did not leave this estate a chance for recovery at all – the estate was almost completely destroyed.

How to get there: by train from Rizhsky railway station to Volokolamsk station, then by bus No. 28 or No. 39 to Yaropolets.

Other related reading

  • 11 best 1-2 day trips from Moscow
  • 10 cool but little-known places to visit in one day from Moscow
  • li>
  • 7 most Instagrammable places where you can go for a cheap weekend from Moscow

Rai-Semenovskoye Estate

The village of Semenovskoye was for a long time the family estate of the boyars Ordin-Nashchokin. But only the Marshal of Paul I Alexander Petrovich Nashchokin, to whom it was at the end of the 18th century. passed by inheritance, built a luxurious architectural ensemble here. It was he who also called it “Paradise”, since the estate turned out to be truly heavenly. The house was surrounded by a beautiful park, and also on the territory was the Church of the Savior, built according to the design of the famous architect Kazakov. It was believed that the mineral springs that gushed near it were able to heal diseases. Subsequently, a sanatorium was built around these springs, but it has not survived to this day.

At present, only part of the house and the park, as well as the alley leading to the house from the gate, have been preserved. However, even in its ruined form, this estate made its contribution to art – in 1953, the film “On the Count's Ruins” was filmed here.

How to get there: by train from the Kursk railway station to Serpukhov, and from there by bus number 35 or number 23 to the Syanovo-2 station.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.